The HRA will take responsibility from the Department of Health for issuing guidance for research in England, in place of the Research Governance Framework (RGF). The current version of the RGF will be withdrawn when the new framework is published. The HRA will undertake a review of the whole framework with an ambition to have a single framework for research across the UK.
The Research Governance Framework Steering Group, with membership from the HRA and Devolved Administrations, plus observers from the Department of Health, is overseeing this process. The terms of reference for the steering group are available here. Work is currently ongoing to ensure the high level principles are ready for consultation in late 2014 with a number of key areas being explored.
Key areas of work
- What research can the NHS support?
- Social Care
- What are the risks to research because of perceived risks of research?
- Risk in research: serious breach notifications and safety reporting
- Perception of risk in research by REC members
- Proportionate consent processes
Read more here.