NIHR Academic Training Advocates
What is an NIHR Academic Training Advocate?
The NIHR Academic Training Advocates are ambassadors for non-medical clinical research careers. They are a group of senior non-medical clinical academics who are passionate about furthering academic training in their profession. There are currently over 30 successful senior clinical academics in the role of NIHR Academic Training Advocate. They are from a range of professional backgrounds and locations across England.
What do NIHR Academic Training Advocates do?
They work individually and collectively to promote and support non-medical careers in health research by;
– Using their professional networks to find and support those in their early career
– Developing local networks of research role models to demonstrate the reality of a research career
– Promoting training opportunities offered by the NIHR
– Presenting at professional events about the potential and opportunities of a research career
– Running local meetings to build a research friendly culture
– Writing articles in their professional literature about the potential of a research career
– Exploring novel strategies to engage with audiences and
– Actively sharing best practice to support the development of their role
What can an advocate do for you?
If you are an early career or aspiring clinical academic, or an organisation developing clinical academic careers, the advocates may be able to help you.
”An advocate is someone who will help you on your journey to become a clinical academic, from the very beginning when you are thinking about research, through to developing a senior
academic career”. – Steve Wooten, Advocate for Nutrition.
“ I’m passionate about clinical academic careers. I’m passionate about people being able to stay in practice and making a difference with evidence based clinical research… patients get the best
possible care”. – Theresa Wiseman, Advocate for Nursing.
To find out more go to click here.
Steve Wooten – Advocate for Nutrition Theresa Wiseman – Advocate for Nursing