NIHR Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care bring together a collaboration of the local providers of NHS services and NHS commissioners, universities, other relevant local organisations and the relevant Academic Health Science Network in England.
CLAHRCs conduct applied health research across the NHS and translate research findings into improved outcomes for patients.
There are 13 NIHR CLAHRCs that primarily focus on research targeted at chronic disease and public health interventions.
The aims of the NIHR CLAHRCs are to:
- Develop and conduct applied health research relevant across the NHS, and to translate research findings into improved outcomes for patients
- Create a distributed model for the conduct and application of applied health research that links those who conduct applied health research with all those who use it in practice across the health community
- Create and embed approaches to research and its dissemination that are specifically designed to take account of the way that health care is delivered across the local AHSN
- Increase the country’s capacity to conduct high quality applied health research focused on the needs of patients, and particularly research targeted at chronic disease and public health interventions
- Improve patient outcomes locally and across the wider NHS
- Contribute to the country’s growth by working with the life sciences industry.
£124 million has been allocated to 13 new Collaborations for a five-year period from 1 January 2014. These Collaborations all demonstrated a substantial portfolio of world-class applied health research, particularly in research targeted at chronic disease and public health interventions, and significant track records in translating research findings into improved outcomes for patients.
NIHR CLAHRCS 2014-2018:
- CLAHRC East of England
- CLAHRC East Midlands
- CLAHRC Greater Manchester
- CLAHRC North Thames
- CLAHRC North West Coast
- CLAHRC North West London
- CLAHRC Oxford
- CLAHRC South London
- CLAHRC South West Peninsula
- CLAHRC Wessex
- CLAHRC West
- CLAHRC West Midlands
- CLAHRC Yorkshire and Humber
For the geographical coverage of each CLAHRC, please see the National Map
Read more on the NIHR website.
The CLAHRC Programme Projects page gives a central overview of all CLAHRCs. Please click here.